How Will the Solar Eclipse Affect Pets? Closing 2:30 - 3:00
How Will the Solar Eclipse Affect Pets?
Although there is little scientific evidence (due to the rarity of eclipse) to confirm the effects a solar eclipse have on your pets, we wanted to give you some insight and tips to keep your pets safe:
- Animals may confuse the change in the light levels as nighttime and implement their pre-bedtime behaviors.
- Pets, especially dogs, often mimic people. If everyone is looking up, dogs may follow their eye gaze too.
- Take precaution with your dogs if they are outside during the eclipse as not to damage their eyes.
- Scientists, zoos and the media are asking for people to observe wildlife and their pets during and after the eclipse to see if any changes in animal behavior may occur.
- However, most indicate that crowds and noises (some cities having large viewing parties), will be more frightening to pets than the eclipse itself.
Enjoy this unique experience!
NOTE: Plaza Pet Clinic will CLOSE on Monday, August 21st from 2:30 - 3:00 pm for our staff to observe the eclipse together.